The Northwest Scientific Association seeks a Chief Editor for Northwest Science, as a paid position at $2,500 per quarterly issue (and occasional special issue). Applications are due March 10th.
About the Journal
Northwest Science ranges across the natural sciences in the northwestern United States and western Canada. It is usually published quarterly, in issues averaging about 80 pages among 7 articles and several shorter items, and includes occasional special issues. It has been in publication since 1927.
Chief Editor Job Details
The Chief Editor of Northwest Science directs the entire workflow involved with publishing peer-reviewed papers in this multidisciplinary journal. These tasks include:
- Revitalize the journal, which has seen a fall-off in submissions and publication during the COVID pandemic
- Oversee a board of Associate Editors (AE) to ensure that each manuscript receives well-informed reviews that support the Chief Editor’s decisions about publication
- Assign potentially acceptable manuscripts to AEs with relevant expertise. Invite guest AEs as needed
- Use the AE and reviewers’ recommendations to render all final decisions on acceptance, revision, and rejection of manuscripts. Write decision letters to corresponding authors
- Distribute publication agreements to lead author of accepted manuscripts for signature.
- Track manuscripts using Peer Track software and nudge AEs, reviewers, and authors as needed
- Oversee and coordinate with the journal’s Managing Editor, whose responsibilities include technical editing, transferring papers to Washington State University Press for formatting and for posting to BioOne, and invoicing authors for page charges
- Oversee enhancements to the journal, as well as the journal page on the Northwest Scientific Association (NWSA) website
- Serve as an ex officio member of the NWSA Board of Directors. The Board meets two or more times per year. The Chief Editor regularly updates the Board on journal activities
To apply, send a resume and a letter indicating your vision for the journal to
Dan Gavin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
President, Northwest Scientific Association
Link to a PDF copy of this announcement
Questions can be directed to Dr. Gavin or to the current Chief Editor, Jessica Halofsky