The beginnings of the NWSA
On the evening of February 9, 1923, a group of educators and scientists met in the Davenport Hotel in Spokane, Washington. A committee developed plans to form an organization "of broad and general character designed to embrace all persons in the Inland Empire interested in the objectives of a regional scientific association."
The 1st Program Meeting took place in Spokane, WA from April 11-12 of 1924, in conjunction with the Inland Empire Teacher's Association. Forty-five papers and 5 general session lectures were presented in 6 sections: Botany-Zoology, Chemistry-Physics, Education, Geology-Geography, Medicine-Bacteriology, and Plant Pathology. There were 45 charter-members of the Association and the annual dues were set at $1.00.
The Northwest Scientific Association (NWSA) is currently in its 100th year. To commemorate this landmark, we are posting historical accounts about the NWSA, biographies and information about the people that shaped the NWSA, below.